Dual purposed blog: a journal of my experience as an intended parent through surrogacy, and a resource for others going through the same experience.
Also visit my surrogate's blog (Link on the right) for the other half of the story!

Friday, November 19, 2010

Blighted Ovum

Found out today that the sac is empty. No baby was ever there in the first place.  Although this is very sad news I was actually a bit relieved.  'For some reason it is easier to have never had something in the first place than it is to have it and loose it.  So, now we have to wait for Jane's body to discard the empty sac and her pregnancy blood levels to go back to zero and then we can transfer 2 more embryos and try again. 
I find it all of this that I keep looking for someone to blame.  I thought it must be the fault of the clinic, and then I thought it must be Jane's fault.  But in researching it I found that most likely it was just genetically bad (which would make it my fault).   I guess maybe it makes it easier to find someone to place the blame on.  But it is just a cruel trick of Mother Nature.

4 comments:

  1. And it's statistically likely... now you and all of your sibs have had a blighted ovum experience except the youngest one (of course).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry my dear. I hope the next go around is better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huh. How do you get a positive prego test in that situation then? I guess that is good...another time setback of course, and I understand your need to lay blame. But try try again right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had 2 blighted ovums. Its really common. Basically most people dont even know they are or were ever pregnant.... since you guys found out so early, you knew.Its your body's way of telling you the embryo's werent healthy enough and they never developed. Its sad, but it is natures way of doing its job.

    ReplyDelete