Dual purposed blog: a journal of my experience as an intended parent through surrogacy, and a resource for others going through the same experience.
Also visit my surrogate's blog (Link on the right) for the other half of the story!

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Last minute hospital switch

So this isn't such an exciting post for family or friends, but it is part of the surrogacy experience so I thought I'd better document it.
Today (T-24 days) we decided to change hospitals and doctors and such.  We will now be delivering in the Salt Lake Valley (and the doctor's appointments will be there too--about 28 miles away).  The problem:  insurance.  Bla!  So Vanessa has insurance (which we pay for) to pay for the delivery.  We have different insurance which will cover the baby.  Both of these insurance plans have multiple hospitals close to Vanessa that are in-network.  However, they cover the exact opposite hospitals.  So we had 2 choices: either go to the very rural hospitals, or this hospital in SL.
We have in our legal contract that we are delivering our baby at the hospital in Provo.  But that will not be the case.  Should we have figured this out before now?  Absolutely.  Let me tell how the mistake was made so others can avoid the error.  So in the let's-make-a-legal-contract phase I asked Vanessa which hospital she would want to deliver at.  She suggests a hospital and I made sure my insurance would cover it (assuming that she suggested it because she already knew it was covered by her insurance).  She had verified that her doctor who is across the street from the hospital was in-network and therefore assumed that the hospital was in-network too.  The only access I have to Vanessa's insurance is what she can send me by email and such.  I can not call and verify coverage because I am not her.
Oh well.  Good thing we figured it out!  Problem solved.  Now I just have to pray that Vanessa doesn't deliver my son on the freeway on the way to the hospital!

No comments:

Post a Comment