Dual purposed blog: a journal of my experience as an intended parent through surrogacy, and a resource for others going through the same experience.
Also visit my surrogate's blog (Link on the right) for the other half of the story!

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Bad news about embryos

15 minutes before the scheduled transfer my doctor called us to give us the report on the embryos' genetics.  Not good.  Of the 9 biopsied, only 1 was normal.  The rest had severe chromosomal abnormalities on multiple chromosomes (52 chromosomes, 28 chromosomes, etc..)  The only good one happens to be a girl.  She will be transfered to Jane this morning and we'll find out in 10 days if she is pregnant.
1 out of 21 eggs.  The doctor said I could expect the same results if I was to do it again.  He said he is also giving me a 50% chance of miscarriage for any pregnancy I would have myself.    My slow-to-stimulate self is related to having poor quality eggs.
Since we have no eggs to freeze we won't be able to do our last paid for frozen transfer if this doesn't work.  In fact, we won't be able to afford to do this again for at least a few years...IF we decided to do it again.
We are fervently praying this morning for success.  Clinging to our last hope.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry. I'm praying for your guys and your little embryo-baby girl.

    ReplyDelete