Dual purposed blog: a journal of my experience as an intended parent through surrogacy, and a resource for others going through the same experience.
Also visit my surrogate's blog (Link on the right) for the other half of the story!

Friday, July 23, 2010

Info on insurance for surrogates

For anyone out there who doesn't know much about surrogacy and insurance:

You need to verify that your surrogate has maternity coverage and has no exclusions for surrogacy or 3rd party reproduction in thier policy. They way to do this is for them to request a copy of their policy (or handbook). You will be looking specifially at the maternity coverage and also at the "limitations and exlusions" sections for anything having to do with surrogacy or 3rd party reproduction. If you can't find anything at all about it that is great. It is covered. But look very carefully. Wording about it in the exclusions section can be very very tricky (I think they do it on purpose). Blue cross is surrogacy friendly, Kaiser is not.
Whatever you do, don't ask the people at the insurance company if it is covered. They will red flag the surrogate. It is much better if they don't know that the surrogate is doing a surrogacy.

My surrogate did not have access to a hard-copy of her policy. She only emailed me forwards that she recieved from her company that had the pieces of her policy. This made me very nervous because as far as I know she could have fabricated those forwards. So, to prove to me they were not fabricated my surrogate gave me access to her email account and so I could see the emails from her insurance company in her inbox which made me feel more secure about it all. But I still don't like the fact that the policy is in pieces. What if there is a critical piece missing? I need to protect myself legally.

No comments:

Post a Comment