Dual purposed blog: a journal of my experience as an intended parent through surrogacy, and a resource for others going through the same experience.
Also visit my surrogate's blog (Link on the right) for the other half of the story!

Friday, July 23, 2010

Searching for a surrogate: advice

I can't tell you how many HUNDREDS of hours surrogate seeking. For anyone out there who is just starting the process I have this advice: First, start with friends and family. See if anyone is

1. Willing

2. Medically clear (had a least 1 uncomplicated pregnancy)

3. has medical insurance with no exceptions (see other blog post for details).

4. Has fees that you can afford.

When I was just starting the process I spent countless hours emailing people who were willing and medically clear. We'd discuss all sorts of things like labor and delivery, amount of communication during pregnancy, etc.. Then, weeks later I'd find out that they wanted $60K for the surrogacy, or that they did not have insurance coverage. So all of the lovely chat was wasted time. I finally learned.
Advice: Don't discuss anything at all until you have verified all 4 of the above requirements. Most people wouldn't offer to be a surrogate unless they had had previous uncomplicated pregnancies. So the first thing you want to ask them is their fees and if they have insurance coverage with no exclusions. Don't be tempted to discuss things with them until these are confirmed as ok.

Here is a brief history of my lined-up surrogates:
1. Friend of mine in my church congregation. Bailed when she found out the church's stance on surrogacy (understandable and ok with me). Lost about $4K
2. aquaintance of my sister in NM. Bailed when she found another couple who was willing to pay more.
3. Husband's cousin's wife. Found out that she didn't have insurance coverage
4. LDS person I found through the internet. Bailed because she got back together with an ex-fiance.
5. (same girl as #2) Increased her prices on me by $9K less than 12 hours after I sent her the confirmation of her and her husband's flights out for the first appointments. Said the changes were non-negotiable. I obviously couldn't trust her so I bailed and lost $800 on the plane tickets.
6. Current surrogate. Told me me had insurance back in march but did not give me any proof of it until June (already $4K in to the process) which made me extremely nervous but it turned out ok.

6 comments:

  1. hi, i have a question. What was the out of pocket expense for insurance with your surrogate. Also, we are currently looking for a surrogate, it is hard to mention to people we are looking to get the family and friends discount. How did you finally dare to mention it to someone?.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for this useful article. I like it. mutual app

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything has its value. Thanks for sharing this informative information with us. GOOD works! lds dating app

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing nice information with us. i like your post and all you share with us is uptodate and quite informative, i would like to bookmark the page so i can come here again to read you, as you have done a wonderful job. asian dating site

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great things you’ve always shared with us. Just keep writing this kind of posts.The time which was wasted in traveling for tuition now it can be used for studies.Thanks filipino girls

    ReplyDelete
  6. Succeed! It could be one of the most useful blogs we have ever come across on the subject. Excellent info! I’m also an expert in this topic so I can understand your effort very well. Thanks for the huge help. mutual dating app

    ReplyDelete