Dual purposed blog: a journal of my experience as an intended parent through surrogacy, and a resource for others going through the same experience.
Also visit my surrogate's blog (Link on the right) for the other half of the story!

Friday, July 23, 2010

My moral views on surrogacy

I am the only LDS person I know who has ever hired a surrogate. When my husband S. and I decided that we wanted to hire a surrogate, I started searching the Internet for any LDS person who had been through this. There was nothing out there. That is part of the reason I'm creating this blog. Surrogacy in the LDS church is "strongly discouraged" and I must start this blog with saying that I agree with that stance. I believe that there is a reason that God gave the powers of pro-creation to men and women together. There are so many ways that surrogacy can be done wrong (and I realize many will have a difference of opinion). I stand firm in my convictions that the following ways of doing surrogacy are wrong:
1. Homosexual couple hires surrogate
2. single person hires a surrogate
3. unmarried couple hires a surrogate
4. people selling eggs or sperm
5. traditional surrogacy (which is a woman selling her own child).
6. There must be a good reason why the intended mother cannot carry her own child or fertility problems. It can't be just to avoid the inconvenience of pregnancy.
I believe that gestational surrogacy is the only moral way of doing surrogacy and the intended parents must be heterosexual and married with a strong relationship.

2 comments:

  1. You are so amazing, Thank you for sharing your story- I have had horrible pregnancies as well, 7 pregnancies in all and only 2 living girls who were both premature, I got PIH/HELLP syndrome, I have been thinking so strongly about finding a surrogate, I just have no idea where I would start... would you be able to give me some suggestions? Do you happen to know of an agency? Etc..

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are no longer the only LDS parent of a child conceived through surrogacy! Thanks for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete