Dual purposed blog: a journal of my experience as an intended parent through surrogacy, and a resource for others going through the same experience.
Also visit my surrogate's blog (Link on the right) for the other half of the story!

Monday, October 18, 2010

The Transfer

So yesterday was a big day. John and Jane drove in and we got to meet them for the first time and we hung out for about 2 hours before the transfer. They are exactly the way I imagined them and they were ever so nice. It was comforting to see that our kiddos will be in good hands. If I had only 1 complaint about them it is that they are too easy-going and not as type-A as I am. But that can also be a good thing I guess.
They invited us in to watch the transfer. First the doctor came in and informed us that 5 our our 8 embryos are good quality. So that is 2 to use and 3 to freeze for later. After Jane was prepped on the table, an embryologist came in with a thin plastic flexible tube and said "Nelson. 2 Embryos" and then the fertility doctor inserted them with the guidance of ultrasound. We watched the 2 little air-bubbles that the embryos were incased in appear on the ultrasound in her uterus. It took 2 minutes. Amazing.
So, now we wait. 9 more days until we will know for sure via 2 blood tests. I can't wait!!! Jane told me last go-around she took a pregnancy 5 days later and it was positive. So, maybe we'll know (or at least have a good guess) sooner than that. Crossing our fingers and saying our prayers!

An actual photo of 2 of our 5 embryos. Most people only get ultrasound images until they are born, but no-- we have actual photos : ) I think they look like S.
Jane wore her lucky socks and lucky shirt. She wore them to the transfer last time she was a surrogate and it worked... so let's hope.

Intended parents on right. Surrogate parents on left.

Jane Doe and myself in front of the clinc.

S took this picture of me as I was coming out of anesthesia after the egg retrival. Lovely I know.

Me at the clinic right before the egg retrival.

1 comment: